5/21/12

The Rundown, Circa 2012.


It feels like light years.

I took an 8 month break from blogging and I'm somehow at a loss to explain what's been going on around here. Not that we haven't been busy, mind you - we've definitely been that. It's more a problem of where to begin.

If you skip back almost a year (and just a few posts down), you'll know that we had the opportunity to invest in our sweet nephews from September to April of this year. It was the biggest challenge of our young marriage to remain sane throughout the process, but I think we managed (I hear that time is the only sure way to find out if you're really crazy or not) and most importantly, we're still closely connected to them. They're with my mom and dad and sister (and sweet baby K!) and living it up in the country with plenty of room to add onto their pallet treehouse.

God blessed me with a great job; Not great in pay, but the work itself and the people there - plus, the mission fit me perfectly. Then, it was taken away. Let me say right here that this isn't the first time this has happened. It's never happened exactly like this, but God has moved me from places where I thought I'd be FOREVER, and it is a deep and painful process. So for those who know my history well, this situation may bring up shades of my past.

It's like there's a lesson I'm supposed to learn, right? That would be well and good if the lesson were clear. I'd be more than happy to get this one out of the way! But I'm abiding and praying that God makes this story the one that stands out as a pivot point, where things work out for the good of this gal who loves Him.

I got into a great workout routine. Lost almost 30 lbs! Then I got into an eating and not-hitting-the-gym routine and I'm back up 9 lbs. *ahem* I'm nothing if not consistently inconsistent. I'm getting back on track, though, because we have a great neighborhood pool and I would really hate to scare small children when I take the nephews to swim.

Speaking of that pool, we moved into a new place in April. It's not much, but we're working on creating a little homey haven here. Also, I'm working on my husband's last nerve shopping for house things. So clearly, there's a lot of work happening here. Pictures to come!

I graduated, finally. And as much as I didn't want to do it, I walked the stage. After 10 years in school, I did it. I got my.. 4-year degree.

Clearly, I am the world's slowest college student, right?

In all fairness to my poor, overworked brain, I decided as a young person to work and do school part-time, because that's totally realistic. Or, you know, NOT AT ALL.

By the way, if you're in the position to decide between school or work and part time school, take note - that 4 year Bachelor's degree stretches a lot further than four years when it's part time.

Just, you know. Trying to be helpful.

I'm studying for the GRE and plan to enter the MBA program as soon as they'll have me, so this degree isn't a final destination. More like a stepping stone. I'm learning to appreciate those, though. The first two degrees (Associate degrees) I never even bothered to register for because they 'weren't important'. But without them, I wouldn't be this far.

It's the CLIIIIIIIIIIIIMB. Cue Miley Cyrus, during the bridge after the second chorus. Not that I know the song or anything. ;)

So I'm still a student, still crazy in love with my crazy husband, still an overbearing auntie who gives too many forehead kisses, still unemployed (although I WASN'T, I'll have you know), and still battling the bulge. 

Basically, it's just like old times!

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.