4/13/11

For The Love Of Salmon Cakes.


Y'all should know by now that I am SOMEWHAT A FAN of all things food related. It does my pudgy little heart the best kind of good to hunt down new recipes to botch try out on my loving family.

Bonus points if there are pretty pictures to go along with the recipe.

Extra bonus points if the recipe makes me hungry the very second I read it.

That's what happened when I stumbled across this recipe for salmon cakes, which, hello, salmon? AWESOME FOR YOUR BRAIN and stuff. Besides, I am so down with anything that resembles a crab cake.

Clearly, anything fried should be used with moderation, but I feel like the salmon makes this a surefire thing. ;)

SALMON CAKES
{via designer bags and dirty diapers}

- 1 can of pink Alaskan salmon (this will make 4 small cakes)

- 1/2 one white onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Canola or olive {my preference} oil to fry cakes in

Drain the can of salmon. Season with salt and pepper. Add onions and celery and toss. Lightly beat egg and add to the mixture. Mix with panko breadcrumbs; add more if needed. Mold into cakes and place on a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. [This helps bind the cakes so they don't fall apart when you cook them.] In a skillet, heat a few tablespoons of canola or olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the salmon cakes. Cook about 4 minutes per side or until nicely browned.

If your salmon cakes seem dry when mixing, add a tablespoon of milk to help bind them.
See? YUMNESS.

Our fab featured cook [that sounds so spiffy, right?!] recommends asparagus or fresh beans on the side, and if you're feeling fancy, maybe a little remoulade to dip the cakes in.

I can't stand to leave well enough alone when I'm cooking, so I dug around and found a few spice combinations I might try when I make this [because THAT is definitely happening in the very near future] recipe:

- Smoked paprika and thyme
- Lemon pepper
- Garlic Herb rub from Mrs. Dash
- Orange juice and rosemary
- Rosemary and basil
- Parsley
- Tarragon
- Mint

I also hear tell that a certain super easy dijon and dill dip is AHmazing - just mix dijon mustard and dill into sour cream, to taste.

I'm going to stop before I convince myself that a trip to Wal-Mart this VERY SECOND is in order. :)

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.