9/29/10

TV Is Bad For You.



'Hoarders' changed my life.

I know what you're thinking. It's filled with psychobabble and the people depicted in the episodes are probably encouraged to be dramatic and plus they get paid for their segment and it's a TELEVISION SHOW, for the love of all things gullible.

But believe me when I say that it is profoundly moving.

I've officially unofficially diagnosed everyone, too, thanks to my newfound expertise in hoarding. I mean, I had a lot to overcome, myself. I rented a storage unit for years to hold my junk, which is a pretty common theme among the hoarders. You can understand how relieved I was that my stuff is no longer in a holding pattern when I discovered the show.

I feel like an overcomer already.

But now, I see the signs everywhere. There's my mom, who is emotionally attached to her things [never ask her to throw away a recipe or a quilting pattern, because from personal experience, it WILL NOT GO WELL], and my dad, who thinks there is a second, or third, or seventeenth use for EVERYTHING. And by everything, I mean stacks of empty egg cartons and milk jugs that are absolutely essential to his survival and will be rescued from the trash bin. Then my sister, who is a shopper extraordinaire. The kind with disposable clothes, worn once and forgotten, and tags hanging from clothes purchased a year ago. And my husband, who has more clothes than me AND my sale-lovin' sister. Combined.

I mean, I'm not judging, but I feel like there's this wall of irritation every time we talk about de-cluttering and cleansing one's environment. I'm pretty sure I've overcome my own packrat tendencies and have made positive steps toward a clutter-free life, but getting my wonderful family to join me on The Path is much harder than I thought.

Apparently, the show didn't have the same effect on them. Me? I've never been so happy to get rid of things in my life. There were SO MANY THINGS laying around I never even use, you know?

Maybe they're just bitter, but it's ok. I think it's probably just because they want their stuff back.

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.