12/6/08

We Interrupt This Season...

Y'all. Personal Insight #236: I am a blogging fiend when I should be studying for the 7 finals and Spanish paper I need to finish before Tuesday.

Because there's nothin' like prioritizing.

That being said, I realized something today. In the midst of the here-and-not-here blogging madness that has become my little web journal here, I neglected the traditional Thanksgiving post.

Why, you ask?

I'm so glad you asked.

It's not that I have nothing to be thankful for; quite the opposite is true, in fact. My heart brims with love and appreciation for everything I've been blessed with. I have a supportive, caring, doting family that can only be described as the absolute best. I have friends that support me, encourage me, humor me, and remind me of the important things in life. I have health [minus the near-constant stream of apparent allergic reaction to oxygen that I have lately endured] that many people only dream of.

But lately, it's been difficult to put into words how much it all means to me, because truly, the blessings in my life are what keeps me [somewhat] sane in a crazy, insane life.

I'm truly, madly, deeply thankful.

But I'm also thankful for the insights into other lives; lives where pain and fear and joy and hope reflect shiny little glimmers of those very emotions in my own life. See, there's a whole population of people who celebrated our traditional day of giving thanks missing pieces of their hearts. People who make sacrifices daily for what we have. No matter what your stance on war and military endeavors may be, there are men and women who willingly volunteered to serve a country that they may very well die for. Because they believe in what we have.

This season, in the midst of thankfulness and gift giving and cookie baking and caroling, there are young fathers in the middle of a sandy desert, looking at pictures of babies they have yet to meet. There are mothers who are longing to be baking cookies for their families and wrapping gifts for under the tree, and there are families here who are one place setting less than a full table for holiday dinners.

If you don't look beyond the warmth and joy of your family celebrations this year, I won't judge you. I encourage you to bask in the glow of the holiday season; it's the most wonderful time of the year, after all.

But if you do nothing else, thank a soldier. Thank a family missing loved ones to an ongoing endeavor for middle-eastern stability, however that elusive goal may or may not be reached. It's not hard to do; in fact, corporate big guy xerox [yes, surprisingly enough!] has made it easy for you with their 'Let's Give Thanks' campaign.



You've probably been there, done that, right? It's soooooo 2002. Most people have peeled away their yellow ribbon car magnets and moved on to economic discussions and Obama dissertations. Except that those soldiers are still there. The constant spotlight may have faded, but your support, your prayers, and your love are even more important than before.

So do it again, ok? This year. And hug someone you're thankful for. 'Cause some people would give anything to do just that.

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.