6/2/08

Ancient Days

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to give yourself an interview at different ages and stages of your life? I have. I love reading old journal entries - not because they're a scintillating read, but because they reveal [in their extreme wordiness, because some things never seem to change] things about my character that have changed.

Then there's the whole wordy, long-winded habit, which I'm pretty sure isn't going anywhere.

I found a few old journal entries recently, languishing on a data CD labeled as my 'stuff'. Classy, yes? They threw me into a time warp for a brief second, and I imagined I was 14 again, earnestly seeking out truth to apply directly to my own life, completely oblivious to the events that would shape now me into the person I've become.

I'm thankful for the growth and experiences and laughter and tears and life that have shaped that 14-year-old into the now me, but I'm not gonna lie - I'm pretty proud of some of the literary accomplishments of 14-year-old me. She might not have published books, but she had some good points, that one. ;o)

Since I can't really give 14-year-old me an interview [shocker, I know!] I can tell you what that girl learned, thanks to random journals and files 14-year-old me filled with thoughts and ideas.

Here's an excerpt from an article that 14-year-old me wrote about the great quest for romance:

Matthew 6:33
"Seek ye first the
kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

God has been running the world on His perfect timing since before time began.. Timing which happens to not run on our schedule. Until you begin to seek His face wholeheartedly - until you've spent some time loving and being loved by Him - chances are you're not ready to meet Mr. or Miss Right. How can you truly know how to love until you've experienced His perfect love? It is only after you've bonded with Him that He sends along the gorgeous guy/gal you've waited your entire life to meet- that's classified under ‘all these things.’ (can you believe that God really, really, really wants to get to know you without interferences from a significant other? He does.)

I'm pretty sure that I could have written a similar paragraph today if you'd asked me what I thought about finding my true love, but 14-year-old me agreed a lot more with the Ludys and Joshua Harris than the now me does.

How the clock has turned!

But moving along.

14-year-old me had a lot to say about modesty, too. Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote about modesty:

And sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:15b KJV

Holiness is a powerful shield against the effects of sinful living. The glitter of
Hollywood seems warm and inviting; forsaking holiness for easier options seems to be the easiest choice. But living without the protective barrier of holiness and consecration to God will rob you of everything good, leaving you scarred, wounded, and lonely, with a void in your heart that only Jesus can fill.

Jesus gave us the command to be holy to protect us, not to stop us from having fun. It’s simple; hold the truth in your heart, heed God’s word, and walk in holiness, and you'll never have to taste the bitterness of death that sin brings forth. Death isn't always physical and literal - it can be the loss of something you've always held close to your heart - but God’s word is never mocked; sin will take it's toll.

Living for God is something like being in a boat on a stormy sea. You may be uncomfortable at times, but it's a lot safer than jumping overboard. Stay in the sheltering, loving arms of Jesus, living life in the beauty of His holiness, and He'll take care of the rest.

For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God, and the Lord hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto Himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth. Dueteronomy 14:2 KJV

Nothing we can say or do will make us holy. We can walk 15 miles on our head while reciting the Lord's prayer during a thunderstorm, but we cannot make ourselves holy by being good. We're human - we all make mistakes. But we have a holy God! By receiving Him into our hearts, the change begins. Jesus' presence there begins to create a desire for holiness, which works it's way outward.

To people who don't understand, holiness seems pointless and even legalistic. Living holy means that we keep our hearts focused on pleasing Jesus, though; this ‘standard’ we measure ourselves by is to honor Him alone.

Ye shall be holy; for I the Lord your God am holy. Leviticus 19:2

No one forces another to make the choice to consecrate himself to Him; the choice to seek holiness is a highly personal commitment. Only you can purpose to passionately seek the calling to holiness. Living a holy life isn't a shame; rather it is the mark of a child of God, of one chosen by Him to be His bride. A person committed to holiness can shed glimpses of His glory to the world, simply because it is a reflection of who He is.

I agree with me. My name is Rachel, and I approve this message. [good job, 14-year-old me!]

So what about you? What do your journals have to say about a younger you?

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.