5/18/08

What Are You Saying?!

It hit me like 2,000 lbs. of bricks last night [that's a ton, if you're counting] during the church service.

I'm not entirely sure what the preacher's points were, because my mind was galloping along it's own thought trail faster than wild horses being chased by cowboys in Montana. [Tell me you didn't just visualize that. I dare you. *grin*]

He was saying something about blessings. Yep, definitely. Well, ok, maybe not 'definitely' - I think it was about blessings, since that was the general direction of the charging herd in my head.

I also thought about my old Pez collection, scheduling a pedicure, contacting a vocal coach, and what sport I would play if I were athletic. But that's not the point. [back off me, you judger-person, you. *grin* I was listening, I promise!]

So here's what God was telling me last night. Trust me, I can't say it as well as He did, but I'm going to take a stab at telling it, anyway.

There is a vast difference between simply receiving a blessing and claiming a blessing in your life.

To receive a blessing, your position is the key. If you're under the spout where the glory comes out [as the ol' timers used to say back home] and you're prepared to receive what God is pouring out, then you're going to be blessed. It's a corporate blessing. Jesus rains down favor, and because He's so awesome and generous, we all get to experience it.

To claim a blessing is a completely different process. It involves steps of faith, and it begins in the heart. Luke 6:43-45 [The Message] says this:

'You don't get wormy apples off a healthy tree, nor good apples off a diseased tree. The health of the apple tells the health of the tree. You must begin with your own life-giving lives. It's who you are, not what you say and do, that counts. Your true being brims over into true words and deeds.'

What's in your heart will be manifest in what you're saying, so it's the heart that matters. Start there first - go ahead! Check and see if you really trust God.

There's one sure-fire way to tell if you're truly rooted in faith that He will provide what you're asking; if you're speaking life toward that blessing.

Whoop! Do you believe it tonight?!? Oh. Oops! Havin' church up in here.

Proverbs 18:21 [The Message] puts it this way:

'Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose.'

By the standards of our swaggering, individualistic society, claiming a blessing is high-risk, because you're put in a prime position to look like a blazing idiot.

Yep. Here you are, naming and claiming your miracle and acting completely oblivious to the situation that sits directly in front of you - while people are carefully observing you! What will they say when your waiting stretches into days and weeks and months and years? Your reputation is at stake, sheesh! The pressure, oh, the pressure.

That's not faith talk, though. Faith doesn't sit back and lament the impossible, nor does it hide away in fear of being proven wrong. Faith claims the promise and then lives every day as if the miracle has already taken place.

So what is it that you need to claim today?

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.