5/3/08

Do it again, Lord!

Psalm 126

A Pilgrim Song

1 -3 It seemed like a dream, too good to be true, when God returned Zion's exiles. We laughed, we sang, we couldn't believe our good fortune. We were the talk of the nations - "God was wonderful to them!" God was wonderful to us; we are one happy people.

4 -6 And now, God, do it again - bring rains to our drought-stricken lives, so those who planted their crops in despair will shout hurrahs at the harvest, so those who went off with heavy hearts will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing.

This 'pilgrim song' is my anthem today. I love the Message's translation (above) because it highlights David's faith in God. There is no hint of doubt that God will provide for Israel here, only rejoicing in the fact that He's going to do it again.

My dad likes to tell everyone [why yes, 'everyone' does include an embarrassing assortment of past boyfriends - how did you know?] a story from when I was younger. I'd been allowed to ride into town with Dad on an errand. This fact alone meant that I'd beaten my sister in the race to be the first one wearing shoes. It was a winner-take-all fight, because we both knew that errands with Dad often turned into a 'Daddy date', complete with ice cream cones and a chance to sit on his lap and 'drive' home. [A perfectly safe maneuver, since we lived in the country, at least ten bajillion miles from any county road.]

Apparently, after we'd visited the shop or Auto Zone or wherever Dad's errand had taken us, we'd pulled up to the fine [magical, really!] establishment where mushy cones with brightly printed paper wrappings full of dripping soft-serve ice cream [chocolate, vanilla, or swirl, no less!] could be found in abundance.

'Dad?!?' I asked excitedly 'do you have any money?'

To which Dad replied 'I sure do, honey!'

My response was simple. 'Well, get it out!'

See, I already knew about the goodness of ice cream. This wasn't my first rodeo, y'all - my Dad was famous for Daddy dates. And I already knew he loves me. Since there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that an ice cream cone was in my very near future, I was on my game. I was ready to expedite whatever process stood in the way of my devouring The Best Ice Cream Cone Ever.

Verse 4 of David's prayer reminds me of that. God, do it again! I remember when you provided for us before, and it was awesome. Now, we're waiting in anticipation for you to work miracles and bring us favor, peace, and joy again. We know You can, we know You will, and we rest in the promise of Your love for us. Do it again, Lord!

It's childlike faith, y'all. Plain and simple.

So what are you asking for today?

Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails
blog comments powered by Disqus Creative Commons License
[the alohilana blog] by R. Jones is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at alohilana.blogspot.com.